WASHINGTON D.C. (WTAQ) - The federal government is still getting public input on eight options to keep the invasive Asian carp out of the Great Lakes.
The Army Corps of Engineers and the White House Council on Environmental Quality will host another hearing Thursday in Traverse City Michigan. It's among nine meetings throughout the Great Lakes region.
The Corps is also seeking input from the Mississippi River cities of St. Louis and New Orleans. Most of the proposed options would close the water link between the carp-infested Mississippi and Lake Michigan at Chicago.
The Army Corps spelled the options earlier this month without recommending any of them. The agency said a permanent solution could take up to 18 years to complete, at a cost of $25 billion.
At a hearing in Milwaukee last week, the head of the state's Nature Conservancy said the economic risks to the Great Lakes are way too high for a project to stretch out so long.
Wisconsin and most other Great Lakes' states favor closing the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal to keep the bloated carp out of Lake Michigan -- but Chicago business leaders say the area's commerce would suffer if the canal is cut off.
(Story courtesy of Wheeler News Service)