OCONTO, WI (WTAQ) - Oconto police said Thursday that a fire which heavily damaged Oconto High School was caused by a student smoking in the boys' bathroom.
In a press release, the Oconto Police Department identified a 16-year-old student as a person of interest after reviewing surveillance video and interviewing students and staff members. Firefighters interviewed the student, who said he left class early and went to the bathroom, where he smoked a home-rolled cigarette.
About 10 to 15 minutes later was when the fire was discovered. According to investigators, no one else used the bathroom after the boy.
Police believe the fire is accidental from the cigarette being used close to a toilet paper dispenser.
Authorities say the boy is being referred to the Oconto County Department of Human Services.