APPLETON, WI (WTAQ) - Traffic in downtown Appleton will be heavily affected by this weekend's Octoberfest.
For Friday evening's License to Cruise car show, College Avenue will be closed between Drew and Lawe Streets at 1 p.m. The road will be shut down all the way to Richmond Street at 3 p.m. It will remain closed until Octoberfest the next day.
Octoberfest takes place on Saturday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Traffic will be able to cross College Avenue at Morrison and Appleton streets.
Drivers headed through downtown from the Oneida Skyline Bridge on the south will be detoured onto W. Prospect Avenue and S. Memorial Drive. Drivers coming from the north on N. Appleton Street will be detoured to W. Franklin Street and N. Richmond Street.
Drivers are encouraged to cross the Fox River at E. College Avenue or Memorial Drive to avoid the downtown area.
Police remind festival-goers of the following rules:
- No alcoholic beverage carry-ins allowed at the events
- No glass containers
- No animals are allowed at special events
- Pedestrians must obey all traffic laws at intersections around the event
- Individuals consuming alcoholic beverages should plan a safe ride home.
- Extra patrols will be out during and after the events to help ensure a safe time for all.