FOND DU LAC, WI (WTAQ) - Fond du Lac firefighters say a cooking fire sent one person to the hospital and forced a family from its home Wednesday.
Crews were called to a duplex at 27 5th Street just after 10:30 p.m. A first floor resident told firefighters he was cooking French fries when the oil caught fire. He tried to put the flames out by covering the pan, then tried to take the pan outside.
As a result, he was burned and was taken to the hospital.
The fire itself badly damaged the stove, while firefighters had to let smoke out of the rest of the building.
Because of the smoke damage, the Red Cross had to help shelter the family for the night.
Firefighters did not say how many people were in the family.
Firefighters say there were no working smoke alarms in the duplex.
Officials also planned to go door-to-door in the neighborhood Thursday, passing out fire safety information.