GREEN BAY, WI (WTAQ) - Fireworks is a popular part of summer in Wisconsin.
But Green Bay Metro Fire Lt. Nick Craig says it can be a dangerous one too, leading to several fire calls each summer.
"Last year we had a duplex that started on fire," says Craig. "The year before, we had somebody put fireworks that weren't completely out into a garbage can underneath an exterior stairwell."
Craig adds that numerous people get hurt because they mishandle fireworks and sparklers. That includes children.
"You want to make sure a child stays far back enough from fireworks that are being lit off on the ground," says Craig. "And you want to make sure if you give a child a sparkler that it's dangerous and they shouldn't touch anyone with it."
A complete list of fire safety tips can be found here.
Vendors in the city of Green Bay are also restricted in what they can sell. That also applies to residents with what they're allowed to set off within the city.
"All the fireworks vendors that apply for a permit are told they can only sell the sparklers, the snakes, the smoke bombs and the spark fountains," says Craig.
Outside the city limits, that's a different story. But Craig says law enforcement will issue tickets to residents if they are caught will illegal fireworks.