MADISON, WI (WTAQ) - There’s a new damage estimate of $18,000, after a contractor spilled battery acid while cleaning the marble floors at the State Capitol last year.
The Administration Department said four months ago that it fired Peterson Cleaning. Officials now say a number of spots on the floors were caused by battery acid leaking from one of Peterson’s machines.
Administration spokeswoman Stephanie Marquis said the company was fired with about $13,000 left on its contract. So the state has told Peterson to pay the damage about that figure, or about $5,300.
If it’s not paid by the end of April, Marquis says the state will take legal action to recover the damage. Peterson Cleaning has not commented.