RACINE, WI (WTAQ) - A house fire in Racine that killed two children and seriously injured two others apparently started in the bathroom.
Fire Chief Steve Hansen said the exact cause of the blaze remains uncertain.
He said the home’s electricity was cut off last week. And while the house had smoke detectors, the chief was not sure if they were working properly.
Nine-year-old Dayja Scott and her 8-year-old sister Dalijah were killed. Their two brothers – 7-year-old Michael Scott and 5-year-old Luther – are at Milwaukee Children’s Hospital. Their conditions have not been released.
An uncle says Luther is improving, while Michael, “may have some issues.” An adult male was also injured in the fire, and was sent to a hospital for treatment.
Four firefighters were treated for heat exhaustion after removing the 4 children from a bedroom. Hansen said they returned to duty after they were released from a hospital.
Throughout the day Thursday, numerous bouquets were dropped off in front of the Scott home – along with rosaries, teddy bears, and sympathy cards.