GREEN BAY, WI (WTAQ) - As the statewide gun deer hunting season gets close, officials with Wisconsin Public Service are reminding those heading up to their cabins about the dangers of carbon monoxide.
WPS is asking hunters to check their heating systems to ensure they are working right and are vented properly. If not, CO can build up in a confined area and become fatal.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and tasteless gas.
WPS recommends having a carbon monoxide and smoke detector. And if you have both, make sure to replace the old batteries.
Initial signs of CO poisoning include headache, dizziness, fatigue, nausea, confusion and flu-like symptoms. Make sure to open windows and doors, and get fresh air if there is carbon monoxide buildup in your cabin.
WPS is also reminding hunters to watch out for downed power lines. The recent heavy winds may have knocked down tree limbs and lines. If you come across a potentially dangerous situation, contact WPS at (800) 450-7240.
WPS says hunters also should not shoot near power lines, electrical equipment or substations. A stray shot can cause damage and potentially interrupt electrical service to an area.