.....Ok so its birthday week. Lets be honest, in your mind you don't just think of your birthday being on a certain day...you sort of consider the entire week to belong to you...No? well i do....But i have to be honest, (damn i'm throwing around a lot of honesty here today) I picked a really bad day to be born...St Patricks Day. I know, I know everybody else says, "Are you crazy? that's a fantastic day to celebrate a birthday." well let me give you a few reasons why its not so good.
1. By the time you head out after work just about everyone else has been "celebrating" my birthday since early morning which doesn't lead to a great time being the one, lets just say, dry person at the party.
2. When i was in college i went out and celebrated my birthday with pitchers full of green beer. the next morning we had football workouts that were as strenous as anything i've ever done and the green beer reappeared, need i say more,. which has led to a lifelong repulsion to tinted brew.
3. For three-years in a row, from ages 8-9-10, a St Patricks day storm cancelled my birthday parties. The weathermen all had a great time with it. those guys were blissfully unaware that while they were chuckling jovially about the "Havoc that Ole' St Patrick" was causing, a lonley kid was playing clothes pin in the bottle and pin the tail on the donkey by himself. I believe this may be the start of deep angst which lngers to this day.
4. I hate wearing green. At least the St Patrick sort of green. Deep packer green isn't bad. the other stuff makes me look like I should be on a fruit of the loom commercial.
5. I hate boiled dinners, corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, ....really???? this is food to celebrate with?????? really? Not lasagna, gnocchi with white sauce or even an old fashioned pizza smothered with mushrooms and sausage washed down with a nice merlot??? Hey nothing agasint the Irish, i'm proud to share your most sacred of days with you, but come on , can we at least work on the menu???????