It's late Wednesday evening and I find myself browsing Facebook when I come across a photo of a friend of mine's cat. This begins a conversation about the importance of cat's and especially kittens to the success of the internet.
One of the most popular aggregate websites on the internet (Reddit) is often mentioned as a place for sharing content...but mostly for sharing funny photos of cats.. Don't believe me? This exists: http://www.reddit.com/r/cats
So why are cats SO big on the internet? It's simple. It's the same reason we love dogs and cats in real life. When you come home from a hard day's work or a personal issue that smiling face is always waiting for you. It doesen't matter if you just had the worst day of your life that pet is going to act like this is THE greatest moment of theirs.
That type of behavior can instantly change your mood into a good one. I mean...come on helpguide.org says so and that's science:
- Pet owners are less likely to suffer from depression than those without pets.
- People with pets have lower blood pressure in stressful situations than those without pets.
- Playing with a pet can elevate levels of serotonin and dopamine, which calm and relax.
- Pet owners have lower triglyceride and cholesterol levels (indicators of heart disease) than those without pets.
- Heart attack patients with pets survive longer than those without.
Walk into your house and see that face and think for a moment about what issue it was that was bothering you? Dogs and cats are awesome. I for one say GO INTERNET GO! MORE PETS!