It's a great day to be a native of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan! We have officially made the dictionary...that's right, the word Yooper is now part of the national lexicon and can be found in your local dictionary...although lets be honest...when's the last time you actually used a dictionary????
But..........no matter.....look it up yourself...we are now an official breed of people. But that of course got me thinking about what other Yooper words should be in there.....here's a few I came up with.....any other suggestions would be appreciated and I will send them to Miriam or Mr. Webster himself.....
1. Pank.....The art of pounding down any obstacle in one's way. example...." I got tired of shoveling snow so i just drove my truck back and forth in the drive way and "panked er down."
2. Swampers....Rubber boots which can be used in virtually all seasons. example....." the snow was melt'n like a son of a gun so I put my swampers on and went for a walk".
3. Choppers....Large leather mittens that are worn generally between October and mid-may, example...."It was cold'r hell last night so i had to put on my choppers when I went out to feed the dogs".
4. Trenary toast....Thick hard cinnamon flavored bread that is best used with dunking. example..." I had a bad hangover so all I could eat was a piece of Trenary toast dunked in my coffee."
5. Two-holer. A modern high-end outdoor bathroom. example..."Holy wah, Toivo must be workin' a lot a overtime at the mine, he build himself a two-holer at his deer camp."
Let me know if I'm missing any...
Photo credit: By Dr. Marcus Gossler (Own work) [GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) or CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/)], via Wikimedia Commons